[Ifeffit] Demeter on Mac OS X

Schima, Frank frank.schima at nist.gov
Fri Jun 6 12:16:29 CDT 2014

On Jun 6, 2014, at 7:11 AM, Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov<mailto:bravel at bnl.gov>> wrote:

On 06/05/2014 06:09 AM, Juliana Fonseca de Lima wrote:
Hi all,

I have used Athena on my Mac since last month, but from last week I have
had the below problem to open the software. Could you help me to solve that?

perl5.16(423,0x7fff75854310) malloc: ***
mach_vm_map(size=18446744071562072064) failed (error code=3)

*** error: can't allocate region

Out of memory!

PS: I have 8 GB of physical memory.

Juliana,

I suspect the reason no one has answered your post is that you have not provided much information to work with.  /Something/ must have happened to your computer in the last week.  Did you do a system update?  Did you install new software?  Perhaps a block of RAM went bad -- you could run a hardware test to find out.  (That happened recently on one of my laptops.)

The bottom line is that I cannot see any way to diagnose the problem simply on the basis of the information provided.  That Athena worked one day and not the next suggests something changed on your computer.

Agreed. I can tell you that all of the programs launch fine for me on OS X 10.9.3 and 10.8.5 using the latest Demeter port in Macports. I would suggest making sure you are up to date in Macports:

sudo port selfupdate
sudo port upgrade outdated

Cheers!
Frank