[Ifeffit] "Save marked groups as..." command

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 22 10:03:10 CST 2014

On 01/22/2014 10:40 AM, Danilo Oliveira de Souza wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a big collection of data from a catalytic reaction.
> I tried to export all the spectra (about 200) to a unique file
> containing the normalized ones. I used the "File>Save marked groups
> as>norm(E)" option.
> Unfortunately, Athena (Demeter 0.9.18) is not able to make one unique
> file (it crashes and I have to initialize it again), instead I had to
> creat 4 different files of 45 spectra each (the maximum group I could
> gather on a file). Is there any bug on it or some kind of limitation to
> creat these kind of files?

The fact that Ifeffit, written in Fortran, has hard-wired limits on
things has been discussed dozens of times on this mailing list.  The
advice to partition your data into groups of about 50 has been given on
this mailing list dozens of times.  Y'know, this mailing list has been
archived since the beginning and can be searched.

A quick skim of the Ifeffit source code (another thing anyone can do)
suggests that the hard-wired limit for the maximum number of columns in
an output data file is 99.

I will try to preempt Matt's response and say that Larch addresses most
of these limitations.  A version of Athena which can talk to Larch
(replacing Ifeffit as the computational backend) will be available soon.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2

  Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel