[Ifeffit] Renaming groups in Athena

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Oct 17 13:43:29 CDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 01:46 PM, George Sterbinsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing to report what I believe to be a bug in Athena. In the
> attached project, there are two groups, a main group and a reference
> group. Changing the name of the first group does not change the name of
> the reference group. Changing the name of the reference group separately
> doesn't work well either. This results in an extra "Ref" being added to
> the beginning of the group name, which cannot be deleted. This happens
> every time one changes the name of the reference group, which can result
> in quite a long name for the reference. Let me know if any further
> information would be helpful.

Hi George,

Sorry for the delay.  I didn't do much maintenance of my software
during the shutdown.

This will be fixed in the next release.  The work-around until then is
not to use the "+" character (or "*" or "?" or a few others) in your
group names.

The source of the problem is that I failed to escape the "+" character
before checking against the name of the reference group.  The "+"
character was then interpreted in the regular expression sense rather
than as a character in the group name.  Oops!

How interesting that no one, including me, had noticed that until now!

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2

  Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel