[Ifeffit] Demeter/Strawberry Perl in Windows 8

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Oct 15 12:57:43 CDT 2013

On 10/15/2013 01:40 PM, Godfrey, Ian wrote:
> Thanks for the swift reply. Sorry for any confusion - the installation of other versions of Strawberry Perl was carried out as a diagnostic step after Demeter failed. After a bit more digging it's turned out that the problem is a variant of the one described here:
>
> http://cars.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Demeter/MingwFix
>
> The software it was conflicting with was GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org/) which presumably uses MinGW. Following the instructions given in the link above to move GnuPG below Strawberry Perl has resolved the issue.
>
> I hope this is helpful to anyone else that else that experiences this error.

Aha!  The MinGW thing was going to be my second guess.

Do you need GnuPG?  It is pretty darn useful, particularly these days
when No Such Agency is reading everyone's email.

I "solved" the problem described on that wiki page by reordering the
PATH at the top of the script that launches A&A on Windows.  However,
that trick only works for places that I know about where MinGW could be
hiding.  The point is that one could add new locations to the trick used
at the top of the BAT scripts that launch A&A.  That is, it would be
possible to let you use Demeter and GnuPG on the same computer.

Of course, I won't be able to implement and test the solution myself
until I get to go back to work.  But if you would like this to happen,
let me know.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2

  Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel