[Ifeffit] Merging data in Athena

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Feb 27 10:27:15 CST 2013

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:09:17 AM George Sterbinsky wrote:
> The reason that I have spectra with different point spacings is because I
> felt that a given range of the spectrum was oversampled.

You could reverse the order of the data sets in the list
(Alt-j/Alt-k).  Then the densely sampled data would be interpolated
onto the grid of the sparser data, which you assert is adequate.

Interpolating onto a sparser grid is much less worrisome than
interpolating onto a denser grid.  Given that Athena has no way of
evaluating whether the grid density is appropriate to the measured
spectrum (that is, Athena has no way of knowing that the one data set
was in fact oversampled), Athena is justified in fretting when you ask
it to do something that poses a genuine threat of damaging the data.
(Admitedly, this threeat is only to the merged spectrum in this case,
not to any of the original data.)

By default, Athena wants not to damage your data.  That behavior can
be turned off, as I showed in the screenshot in my last post.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel