[Ifeffit] lecture videos at the Diamond Light Source

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jun 13 10:04:00 CDT 2012

Hi,

Last fall, the excellent folks at the Diamond Light Source invited me
to present a three day XAS training course.  All of my lectures and
software demonstrations were recorded on camera, as were the desktop
sessions on the presentation computer.  The Diamond technical staff
did a great job assembling all of this information into streaming
videos, which they are now hosting on their web site.

Here is the URL:

  http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Home/Events/Past_events/XAS-workshop-2011.html

In total, there are several hours of videos of me presenting lectures
and teaching the audience how to use the most recent versions of
Athena and Artemis.  The editing is great -- it transitions very
nicely between the camera and the desktop.  Really the only problem
with the videos is that you will have to watch many hours of my ugly
mug :)

I'd like to thank Paul Quinn, Fred Mosselmans, and Shu Hayama for
inviting me, organizing the event, and making the videos happen.  If
you find the videos helpful, be sure to let them know.

For folks just learning XAS and for those wanting to learn how to use
the newest versions of Athena and Artemis, the Diamond folk have done
a very kind thing.

Regards,

PS:  As a Linux user, it was not immediately obvious to me how to use
the Microsoft Media Server (mms:) links on the Diamond web page.  Here
is a hint that worked for me for viewing them from Firefox:

  http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/747274

I configured Firefox to send the video to VLC, although any video
player should work.  Presumably, something similar can be done in
other browsers.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel