[Ifeffit] Ifeffit Digest, Vol 107, Issue 16

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Feb 2 08:41:33 CST 2012

Hi Carmelo,

Again, sorry for the slow response.

Your problem is that you have MSYS installed on your computer.  Well,
that's not really a problem -- MSYS is excellent.  However, it comes
with a fairly ancient version of perl.  The specific problem you are
having is that the PATH environment variable on your computer is such
that MSYS's version of perl is found before the version in
C:\strawberry is found.  That version of perl does not know to look
for the components of Demeter underneath C:\strawberry.

As I see it, you have three options.  In order of difficulty:

  1. Edit your PATH environment variable so that the version of perl
     that comes with Demeter is found first.

  2. Uninstall MSYS or at least uninstall the version of perl that
     came with MSYS.

  3. Don't use the Demeter installer.  Instead, attempt to build and
     install Demeter from source.  In principle, you should be able to
     follow the linux build instructions.  With MSYS, a C compiler and
     a Fortran compiler (for buildiong and installing Ifeffit), it
     should be possible.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 EXAFS software: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Demeter