[Ifeffit] demeter on xp access for all users

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Feb 2 08:32:10 CST 2012

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 02:57:46 am fred.mosselmans at diamond.ac.uk wrote:
> But having installed the latest Demeter release on my xp windows pc's on
> the beamline, I can use it fine but my users who log in to these pc's as
> themselves with few rights in the windows world cant. If they try to start
> the program the old dos window shows for milliseconds and that's it. I am
> sure it is a permissions issue for a log file or something so I have made
> the strawberry pearl directory full control for anyone but obviously I
> need to do something else as well.

Fred,

I have been layed up with the flu for several days and my brain cells
have not been functioning well enough to look into this (or the
similar problem Carmelo reported).

My moemory of how computers work at Diamond is that you have
centralized administration.  Among the many things that happen at
installation time, a whole slew of environment variables and registry
entries are added or modified.  In the case of a centrally
administered environment, I would worry that the changes that
installer intends to make are not actually made available to your
computer.

What would happen if you tried to install, say, a different PDF viewer
than whatever you have on your computer and to assign it as the
default PDF viewer?  Would that work?  If not, then I suspect that you
will need to talk to your IT people.

In the short term, what do the log files (dathena.log and so on) in
%APPDATA%\demeter\ say?  What happens when you open a command prompt
and type perl -V?  For the latter, I am most interested in the list of
paths under the @INC heading, which is the last thing written to the
screen.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 EXAFS software: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Demeter