[Ifeffit] Looking for reviewers for first chapter of new XAFS book

María Elena Montero Cabrera elena.montero at cimav.edu.mx
Sat Dec 17 11:16:08 CST 2011

Hello Scott!
I have noticed your invitation to review your "first" chapter, and I have
been hesitant to accept it, for I am behind in my work. However, it is
interesting
for me and I accept it in principle. Another thing I want you to notice is
that you have sent the chapter, I think inadvertently, to the entire IFEFFIT
discussion list. Or I have been included in the list of reviewers since I
did one of them?
Best regards
   Maria Elena

2011/12/16 Scott Calvin <scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu>

> Hi Dalton,
>
> Good to have you aboard!
>
> I'm attaching the review packet. The page numbering is a bit chaotic,
> because it's actually several documents stitched together:
>

>  *   The copyright notice. My publisher is allowing me to distribute
> review copies, but only on the condition that reviewers not redistribute
> them.
>  *   An excerpt from the preface explaining the origin of the cartoon
> characters. (Yes, there are cartoon characters...)
>  *   An introduction to the cartoon characters.
>  *   Chapter 1. This is a draft version, and does not have the appearance
> of the final version. In particular, to make the file size manageable, the
> figures are lower resolution than they will be in the final version, and
> some of the graphs get a bit muddy. Page breaks and line spacing also do
> not correspond to the final version.
>
> In the chapter, I've placed numbers along the margin to aid in making
> comments. For example, you might have a comment on page 12, lines 6-7. The
> numbers won't appear in the final version. Also, please use the page
> numbers at the bottom (rather than the page numbers of the PDF file).
>
> If you have any questions about the context of the chapter, the intended
> audience, or whatever, feel free to ask!
>
> --Scott Calvin
> Sarah Lawrence College
>
> P.S. Make sure you send email related to this chapter to my address
> directly, and not to the Ifeffit list.
>
> On Dec 14, 2011, at 2:39 PM, daltonabdala at gmail.com<mailto:
> daltonabdala at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> I'd be willing to review this chapter. Just to touch base, we met each
> other at SSRL last May. I'm a PhD student at Dr. Sparks research group
> doing research on P-EXAFS.
>
> Thank you,
>

> Dalton
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Scott Calvin <scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
> <mailto:scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu>> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have finally written the opening chapter of the XAFS textbook I'm
> working on. This is an introduction and overview, about 30 pages in length.
> It is (hopefully!) suitable for beginners, although more expert opinions
> are also welcome.
>
> If you are interested in reviewing the chapter and can get feedback to me
> by 9 January, please contact me directly at SCalvin at slc.edu<mailto:
> SCalvin at slc.edu><mailto:SCalvin at slc.edu<mailto:SCalvin at slc.edu>> . As
> always, repeat reviewers are welcome!
>
> --Scott Calvin
> Sarah Lawrence College

> --
> Dalton Belchior Abdala
> Ph D. Candidate
> Environmental Soil Chemistry
> University of Delaware
> 152 Townsend Hall, 19716
> Newark, DE
>
> "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything
> [...]

María Elena

Dra. María Elena Montero Cabrera
Centro de Investigación en Materiales Avanzados (CIMAV)
Miguel de Cervantes 120, Compl. Ind. Chihuahua
Chihuahua CP 31109, Chih. México
Tel (614) 4391123