[Ifeffit] Athena: problems with LCF

Nina Siebers nina.siebers at uni-rostock.de
Wed Aug 3 07:53:19 CDT 2011

Dear All,

I acquired Cd L3-edge spectra of some binary and ternary mixtures in
varying proportions and for the individual components. Then, I tried
to fit the reference spectra to the spectra of the mixtures using
linear combination fitting of Athena to get their abundance. However,
results were disappointing despite all spectra were carefully energy
calibrated and normalized, so I decided to create simple mathematical
ternary mixtures by summing up the spectra of the individual reference
spectra (edge step normalized) and tried the fitting again to exclude
mixing-failures and check sensitivity of LCF with the idealized
spectra. Unfortunately, LCF was also not able to reliable deconvolute
these spectra into the individual reference spectra.
Does anybody have an explanation for that?
It would be nice if somebody could give me information about the
mathematical fitting algorithm implemented in Athena.

Thanks a lot!
Wishes,
Nina