[Ifeffit] Athena: problems with LCF

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Aug 5 15:31:21 CDT 2011

Nina,

I see that no one has responded to this email, which arrived while I
was on travel.

As I alluded to in my email from earlier today, yours was the sort of
question that is very hard to answer.  While I am sure that your
explanation was clear to *you*, it is less so for the rest of us.

If you can document your problem -- preferably in a way that one can
reproduce on their own computer -- you will be much more likely to get
a useful answer.

As for the algorithm, it is as simple as the name implies.  The
standards are added up according to their weights and compared to the
unknown.  The weights are the variables in the fit.

If you open the "Ifeffit buffer" from the Edit menu, you can watch the
ifeffit commands as they are being sent to the Ifeffit library.  This
will show you (albeit in a rather verbose manner) how the data are
being prapred for the fit.  The call to the minimize() function then
sends the fit off to a standard Levenberg-Marquardt non-linear,
least-squares minimizer.  You can also examine the Athena source code
at http://cars9.uchicago.edu/svn/horae/trunk/athena_parts/lcf.pl but
you will find that the encoding of the fit is interspersed in a rather
confusing way with the graphical layout.