[Ifeffit] Asymmetric error bars in IFeffit

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 25 06:42:59 CDT 2010

Hi Scott,

That's a pretty amazing use case.

But I'm not sure I understand the issue exactly right.   I would have
thought the volume (r**3) was the important physical parameter, and
that a 1000nm particle would dominate the spectra over 3nm particles.
   Or is it that you are trying to distinguish between 1 very large
crystal  or 100s of smaller crystals?   Perhaps the effect you're
really trying to account for is the surface/volume ratio?  If so, I
think using Matthew Marcus's suggestion of using 1/r (with a safety
margin) makes the most sense.

--Matt