[Ifeffit] No background subtraction in some cases?

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 2 07:56:26 CDT 2010

Hi Alexander,

I see two issues with these data files that are probably tripping up Athena:

First: the files end with an "END OF DATA" line.  This is a fine
choice for how to organize a data file, but it's not what Ifeffit is
expecting.

Second: a bigger issue is that there isn't a column for energy in eV
or keV.  It looks like the monochromator position is stored in angle
(or perhaps I'm misreading the ".dat" files?).  Again, this is not
what Ifeffit is expecting, and I think this is what is really
preventing Athena from processing the data.

An Athena plug-in could be made to read these files and do these
conversions.  There are several example plugins.  It would also be
pretty easy to write a simple pre-processing script that strips of the
last line (the information at the top looks like it would be fine to
me) and convert angle to energy.

Sorry for the trouble, and hope that helps.