[Ifeffit] What you see is "not" what you get: help

Leandro L. Araujo leandrolangie at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 20:33:53 CDT 2009

Dear All,

I think I understand the point here. Ismael, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) The experimental data is imported into Athena and fitted through the
"peak fitting with lineshapes" feature. The fitting looks very good in
Athena - the red curve matches the experimental spectrum well, as seen
in the file "plot athena.ps" attached on Ismael's previous email.
So far, so good.

2) But then Ismael needs to plot the data and the fit in another
program, because he wants high-quality graphs for journal publications.
That's where the problem starts. He clicks on the "write a log file"
button in the peak fit page in Athena and generates a .log file where
the fitting results - both the functions/parameters and the columns for
mu(E), experimental data, fit and each  component - are included. That
would be file "fitting results.log" attached to Ismael's previous email,
which can be read in any text editor.

3) But when Ismael plots the data from the "fitting results.log" file
into Origin (or whatever), there is a significantly higher mismatch
between the experimental spectrum and the fit, as shown in the file
"graph origin.jpg". I guess that's what prompted Ismael to write "What
you see is "not" what you get", since the graph in Origin looks
different from the graph in Athena.

4) If we pay close attention to both graphs, we can see that the
experimental spectrum peaks at different mu(E) values: in "plot
athena.ps" it peaks at ~ 2.3 while in "graph origin.jpg" it peaks at ~
2.5. The fit, on the other hand, peaks at ~ 2.3 in both graphs.

5) Thus, my guess is that when Athena exports the data through the
"write a log file" button in the peak fit page it spits out the raw
mu(E) instead of the normalized mu(E). That's why there seems to be a
mismatch in Origin: while in the Athena graph the experimental data is
plotted as normalized mu(E), in the exported file and the origin graph
we have the raw mu(E). The fit doesn't seem to change, but it was
optimized for the normalized mu(E) and doesn't match the raw mu(E) that
well.

6) One easy workaround would be exporting just the experimental data as
normalized mu(E) through the "file" dialog in Athena and then overlaying
it on the same graph with the fit exported through the "fitting
results.log" file.

Cheers,
Leandro