[Ifeffit] Los

Carlo Segre segre at iit.edu
Tue Feb 3 21:46:38 CST 2009

Hi Eugenio:

In my experience, nanoparticles tend to become perfect crystals because
the strain energy per atom in the cluster is too large to support a dopant
which severely distorts the structure.  It is possible that a dopant like
Er is simply expelled from the nanoparticle.  In the bulk, there are more
mechanisms for relaxing the strain and, more importantly, there are many
more atoms available over which to spread the strain energy.

>From the bond distances you quote, the Er may indeed be on the surface.
Did you notice any change in the spectrum as a function of time?

Cheers,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics