[Ifeffit] too large screen size of the open-file dialog in Athena

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Feb 3 08:27:36 CST 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 08:53:11 am Gleb Pokrovski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of my student faced with a 'strange ' problem with the last version
> of  Athena (ifeffit 1.2.11.exe )
> He is using a laptop Acer  ASPIRE ONE (screen size 9.2 inch) running
> under windows XP.
>
> The size of the window in the open-file dialog of athena is too big, so
> that the lower part of the dialog containing
> the magic button 'OK' is hidden (please see attached pdf file). We found
> no way to assess to this part,
> and consequently we are not able to open a data file.
> Changing screen resolution on Windows does not help.
>
> Has someone else already experienced this kind of problem?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Gleb Pokrovski

Hi Gleb,

I have seent his problem before, but it has always been possible to
"find" the OK button by grabbing the bottom part of the top border of
the window and dragging the window all the way to the top of the
screen.  So this is a pretty bad situation.

It will be hard for me to fix this properly without access to the
laptop.  I am surprised that changing the screen resolution doesn't
help.

I have a suggestion.  It's a bit cumbersome.  There is no convenient
way to change the fonts used by Athena, but there is an inconvenient
way:

  1. Fire up Athena

  2. Click on Edit preferences from the Setting menu

  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and open the "fonts" group

  4. Click on one of the fonts.

  5. You will see a message about how there is no interactive way to
     change fonts,  In red text, Athena should tell you the location
     of the file that contains Athena's configuration.

  6. Open that file with a text editor (like Wordpad -- do NOT use
     Word or some other word processor).

  7. Scroll to the bottom of that file and reduce the numbers for each
     kind of font.  That is, change "9" to "8", "10" to "9", and so
     on.

  8. Save the file and fire up Athena again.

Let me know if that helps.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov