[Ifeffit] Normalization of XANES spectra

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Wed Oct 29 09:51:44 CDT 2008

Jens:

This example may help you understand your problem: if compound a) has a small fraction of metal Cu mixed with a large fraction of oxidized Cu, while a compound b) has it the other way around, then the main (1s - 4p) absorption peak in compound a) will be smaller than in b) after edge step normalization.

Edge step normalization allows to view all features in XANES and EXAFS regions as if caused by an x-absorption process in a singe atom located in a concentration-average environment of all species in the sample that contain that element.

Thus, the edge step normalization does have sensitivity to the composition of the sampe.

Or, I misunderstood your question?

Anatoly