[Ifeffit] Normalization of XANES spectra

Jens Kruse jens.kruse at uni-rostock.de
Wed Oct 29 09:02:54 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

I have a general question:
I know Normalizing is something we do so that we can compare samples
measured
under different experimental conditions (removes the effect of different
gains ...) but I have problems in understanding and applying
normalization when also quantitative conclusions are needed when
comparing different spectra.

If I have two XANES spectra (a) and (b) measure under the same
conditions but with different concentration of the absorbing atom with
in different molecules.If both normalized spectra show a peak 1 , but
this peak is higher in intensity in spectrum (a) than in spectrum (b),
does this mean that compound which produced peak 1 is also absolute
higher in concentration in sample/spectrum (a) or do I loose this
information after normalization?
Or can I just say: in the normalized spectrum (a) peak 1 is higher than
peak 2 suggesting that the compound leading to peak 1 is more abundant
(just relative proportions).But I can't say: The intensity of peak 1 in
the also normalized spectrum 2 is lower than in spectrum one, Therefore,
the compound leading to peak 1 is less abundant in spectrum/sample 2. ????

I hope somebody can help me to understand this issue.

Thanks a lot,

jens

--
Jens Kruse