[Ifeffit] Athena installation

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Jan 29 14:02:10 CST 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 10:02:26 cserhati csaba wrote:
> thanks for the fast response. Ihave checked, the perl/Tk version which I
> use is
>
> 804.028

Csaba,

I just installed 804.028 on this computer and I see the same the same
error message you are reporting.  (I had been using 804.027.)

I think this is a bug in the 028 distribution.  Searching through the
perl/Tk source code, I find several places where default fonts are
defined with size -12.  I am a little confused by the whole color
thing in the error message.  But dashes have a special meaning in
perl/Tk's syntax, so the error be thrown from the wrong place.

I hasten to point out that is labeled as an "unauthorized release" on
CPAN: http://search.cpan.org/~srezic/Tk-804.028/.  Is this the version
that gets installed via YAST these days on a SUSE system?  Or did you
install from CPAN?

While I think this is not my fault, I also suspect that this is an
avoidable bug.  That is, I suspect that there is a particular place
somewhere in Athena where I am relying on the default font rather than
explicitly specifying a font.  I don't know how long it will take me
to find that place in the code, but I'll try.

I think the simplest work-around for you is to downgrade Tk to
804.027.  You seem like a capable linux user, so I don't feel bad
telling you to do so. ;-)  Here's the direct link:
http://search.cpan.org/~ni-s/Tk-804.027/.

Good luck,

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov