[Ifeffit] Fe-Co help

Dominik Samuelis samuelis at pc.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Oct 21 06:11:56 CDT 2007

Dear Chachi,

first of all, you need to work on your crystallographic description
of the system.  I'm sure you are aware of the ordering transistion in
Fe-Co at around 730 °C. Your description currently uses parts of the
ordered phase, and other parts of the unordered.

Above 730 °C, your description as a bcc structure is correct, however
your atomic parameters and the neighbor shells are not. The system
then has a bcc structure (Im-3m), with mixed Fe/Co occupancy on the
single crystallographic position 2a. It should be modelled as such,
with mixed occupancy on the neighboring sites. There's excellent
tutorials how to deal with mixed sites. However, be aware that the
scattering properties of iron and cobalt is very similar, you you
won't really be able to fit your site occupancy.

Below 730 °C, the system starts to order. The ordered phase is NOT
bcc anymore, but consists of two intersecting primitive cubic
lattices, shifted by (1/2 1/2 1/2). The structure prototype is often
called B2, after its Strukturberichte symbol (http://cst-
www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk/index.html). Now, the rest of your
crystallographic description matches. The neighbor shells will be
N1=8Co and N2=6Fe. However, the symmetry is not bcc (Im-3m), but
primitive (Pm-3m).

Looking at your fit and feff calculation, it seems, that you have
used the fully ordered phase for modelling your alloy. As you have
pointed out yourself, it's not clear that the alloy really is fully
ordered. Your alloy might be partially ordered, as also indicated by
the Mossbauer data. In this case, you need to mix several feff
calculations, with each cobalt and iron on the first and second
neighbor position. You could start by assuming an ordering parameter
'op'. The first shell would then be N1=8(op Co+(1-op)Fe), the second
is N2=6(op Fe+(1-op)Co).

Cheers, dominik

--
Dipl.-Ing. Dominik Samuelis