[Ifeffit] problems with opennig of data files with Athena

Ravel, Bruce bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Dec 11 09:57:38 CST 2007

Iztok,

I am not certain, but I suspect (judging from the line of code that your error message references) that Athena is unable to write out the file that it uses to populate the "recent files" list in the File menu.  There seem to be two issues.

1. Athena does not handle this problem gracefully and does not report a useful error message.  That's a bug that I'll fix for the next release.

2. You need to check what is going on on your computer.  On windows the file in question is C:\Project Files\Ifeffit\horae\athena.mru.  (The "C:\Project Files|" part might be different on your computer depending on where you installed the whole ifeffit package.)  Both the folder and the athena.mru file need to be readable and writable.  I would check the permissions of both.  Another possibility is that Ifeffit is installed on a network drive and you lost access to the network.  That would mean that Athena is unable to find that folder.

Although I think that access to the .mru file is the likeliest culprit, there could be something weird about your data file.  If you think the data file is somehow to blame, then you should send me an example of a data file that causes the problem.

Hope that helps!

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at bnl.gov

 Synchrotron Methods Group at Brookhaven National Laboratory

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel