[Ifeffit] Artemis error message

Stefano Ciurli stefano.ciurli at unibo.it
Fri Sep 15 16:02:17 CDT 2006

Hi Paul,

>The program icon for artemis and athena is a short applescript
>application (that in turn calls a unix script).  The source code is
>in the Ifeffit/applescript folder (the top level artemis is a
>compiled applescript applescript).  It goes like this:
>
>display dialog "Please pick an output device" buttons {"X11
>graphics", "Aquaterm"} default button "X11 graphics"
>set mydevice to the button returned of the result
>if mydevice contains "Aquaterm" then
>	do shell script "/Applications/Ifeffit/bin/runprog -q -m -x -a artemis"
>else
>	do shell script "/Applications/Ifeffit/bin/runprog -q -x -a artemis"
>end if

I checked. In my case the Artemis.scpt file looks like this (and
indeed the strange symbols are present in all the scripts in the
directory, so maybe it is OK):

I am worried about the red symbols: is the file corrupted? And if so,
why is it? I just installed the package I downloaded, nothing else.

>As you can see depending on the answer received the script
>/Applications/Ifeffit/bin/runprog is invoked (with different
>options).  The shell script runprog is a bourne shell script
>(written by Matt and hacked by me).  The -m option just sets
>the environment variable PGPLOT_DEV to the value /AQT before ifeffit
>is invoked.  The option list is:
>
>     -a)  app=$2 ; shift    ;;
>     -x)  $open_x           ;;
>     -q)  show_out=0        ;;
>     -d)  show_dir=1        ;;
>     -m)  device='/AQT'     ;;
>      *)  files="$files $1" ;;
>

>It should be possible to invoke artemis with an aquaterm graphics
>output by using the line "/Applications/Ifeffit/bin/runprog -q -m -x
>-a artemis" (without the quotes) in an X11 window.  Does this
>command work?

It does. And if I launch the program in this way, feff6 is invoked
and runs without the error message, the same way as when I launch
Artemis with the artemis command from the iTerm window, but
differently from when I lauch the program double clicking the Artemis
icon.

Not that I am stuck at this poin (I can run my fits using artemis
launched from the Xwindow) but I wonder whether this little bug can
be sorted out.
Stefano

Stefano Ciurli
Professor of Chemistry
Laboratory of Bioinorganic Chemistry
Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
University of Bologna
Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
I-40127 Bologna
Italy
Phone:	+39-051-209-6204
Fax:	+39-051-209-6203

"Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"
Dante Alighieri - Inferno - Canto XXVI

"Ihr seid bestimmt, nicht Tieren gleich zu leben,
Nein, Tugend zu erringen und Erkenntnis"
"Ye were not form'd to live the life of brutes,
But virtue to pursue and knowledge high"