[Ifeffit] CN and bond distances in Artemis

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Tue Dec 5 13:02:41 CST 2006

Hi JA,

I agree with Anatoly that remeasuring in
transmission is a good idea, if you have the beam
time. But I would also note that the value you
have for S02 with the correction is within the
realm of possibility, considering the
uncertainty: 1.20 - 0.30 = 0.90. And part of the
reason for starting with a standard in the first
place is to work out some of the other
difficulties that may arise; e.g. questions of normalization.

If it is not practical for you to remeasure right
now, you can try some of the things that can
reduce the uncertainty in S02: fitting with
multiple k-weights, changing the k-range being
fit, fitting multiple coordination shells, etc..

I also just checked a past paper of mine, and see
I ended up with an S02 for a set of platinum
samples (transmission) of 1.16 +/- 0.05,
suggesting that I wasn't doing something quite
right (probably not sample preparation or
measurement issues, since most of those tend to
lower S02). But since that set of samples
included a standard, and I was really interested
in the differences between samples (including the
standard), the fact that I have some systematic
error that's causing the S02 to come out a tad
large was acceptable, if a bit troubling. The
paper is S. Calvin et al., Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 233102 (2005).

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College

P.S. Just as I finished writing this, Matthew
Marcus' post came through. I do have Pt foil data
in transmission that I can dig up for you, if
you'd like. Maybe I'll send it to Matt to put in
the database; it's pretty good quality, as I
recall (good data out to 20 inverse angstroms or so).