[Ifeffit] Re: XAFS Analysis using Ifeffit

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 2 07:23:04 CDT 2006

Dear Jana,  (and Alojz and Iztok),

Thanks!  I think that will help me a lot!  I've looked at all of
these, but it may
take me some time to comprehend it all.   The MPE in the CeO2 data looks
quite a bit like features I've seen in other rare-earth oxides.  I thought that
this sharp feature wouldn't really damaging the EXAFS determination of
the RE-O distance/coordination number, but it's certainly better to (try to?)
model them than do nothing.

I'm still confused about the right way to handle these in practice. It
seems that
a choice of "arc-tangent", "lorenztian", or "mimic the shape of the main edge"
should work for most cases -- do you agree?  It also seems there ought to be
a reasonable way for the algorithm to pick which of these lineshapes to use.

Anyway, thanks again!!