[Ifeffit] Re: XAFS Analysis using Ifeffit

Jana Padeznik Gomilsek jana.padeznik at uni-mb.si
Wed Aug 2 05:16:25 CDT 2006

Since only my zip files (spectra and articles) have appeared on the
Ifeffit Mailinig list,
here is once again the accompanying text:

Hi Matt,

> Personally, I'd like to see more data with
>clear MEE to play
>with, and would like to model these better than with an ad hoc arc-tanget.  I'd
>also like to see a real case where including MEE transitions gave different
>structural results than an analysis that did not include them.  Any takers?

I've chosen three real chemical problems from our work where
multielectron excitations had to be taken into account in order to
obtain structural information. I'm sending you original data together
with our articles:

- cetyl-trimethylammonium bromide (CTAB) adsorbed on carbon black with
very weak structural signal (Br_CTAB.nor, Br-O bond). Spectrum of
aqueous solution of KBr (Br_sol.nor) helped to separate atomic and
structural features.

Article: Kodre, A., Padeznik Gomilsek, J., Arcon, I., Preseren, R.,
Separation of weak EXAFS signal from atomic background in Br and Rb
samples. J. synchrotron radiat., 1999, vol. 6, 306-307.

- iodine in electrolyte, again weak EXAFS signal (I_MPE.mue, I-I bond).
Due to simplicity of EXAFS signal  we used shorter k-range to avoid
distortion from MPE.

Article: Padeznik Gomilsek, J., Arcon, I. , Kodre, A. Atomic effects in
EXAFS structural analysis of redox I[sup]-/I[sup]-[sub]3 solid state
electrolites. Acta chim. slov.. 2006, 53, 18-22. Available online:
http://acta.chem-soc.si/issues.html

- CeO2 thin films annealed in air (Ce_air.mue) or Ar (Ce_Ar.mue). I'm
sending a spectrum of CeO2 powder as well (CeO2.mue). As in some other
lanthanides, MPE signal is very strong and affects structural analysis
even in case of CeO2 powder. We subtracted (valence dependent) MPE
estimate prior to EXAFS analysis. In this case MPE resonances are more
important than arc-tanget.

Article: Padeznik Gomilsek, J., Kodre, A., Bukovec, N., Kozjek-Skofic,
I. Atomic effects in EXAFS structural analysis of mixed Ce oxide thin
films. Acta chim. slov., 2004, 51, 23-32. Available online:
http://acta.chem-soc.si/issues.html

Best regards,

 Jana