[Ifeffit] Problems with Windows XP Installation.

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Fri Oct 21 13:35:41 CDT 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 13:14, Brewer, Luke N wrote:
> Hello All-
>
> 	I have just downloaded and installed the ifeffit.1.2.8.exe
> package for Windows XP from a mirror to sourceforge.  The installation
> appeared to run just fine.  I read the note on website about using the
> runner.exe instead of the individual executable files.
>
> 	When I click on the runner.exe, a window asks me what
> application I would like to run (Athena, Artemis, etc.).  The window
> disappears, and nothing happens for about a minute after which an error
> window appears asking me to check the runner.exe.log.  The last line of
> each log entry reads "timeoutsocket.Timeout: Attempted connect to
> ('164.54.160.111', 80) timed out."
>
> I get the same error each time I try to run the software, regardless of
> which application I select.
>
> Any advice?  I would be happy to forward the runner.exe.log to anyone
> who can/is willing to help.

I think I know the problem -- Matt may have more wisodm.

The first version of the runner did not play well without a reliable
internet connection.  It would seem you have been bitten by this
problem.

Possible solution #1:  If, in fact, you were on a computer with out an
internet connection (either by design or because it was temporarily
down), make sure the computer is connected and try again.

Possible solution #2: Grab this file:
   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/updates/iff_001.zip
and unpack it by hand in C:\Program File\Ifeffit\ (or wherever you
installed the whole ifeffit package).  That file is the first updater
package.  It updates the runner as well as Athena, Artemis, and a
bunch of documents and example.

For more info on how the runner works and how updates happen, see the wiki:
  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/iffwiki/IfeffitOnWindows/RunnerProgram

HTH,

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advance Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel