[Ifeffit] EXAFS mean free path in small particles

Anatoly Frenkel frenkel at bnl.gov
Tue Jun 14 10:39:08 CDT 2005

[Ifeffit] EXAFS mean free path in small particlesMatthew,

This is one of the references stating that surface plazmon intensity
vanishes as the particle size gets smaller than 2nm: C.N.R.Rao et al,
Size-Dependent Chemistry: Properties of Nanocrystals, Chem. Eur. J. 2002, 8,
No. 1, p. 29. Here is the quote: "Gold nanocrystals of varying diameters
between 2 and 4nm exhibit distinct bands around ~ 525 nm, the intensity of
which increases with size (ref, ref). The intensity of this feature becomes
rather small in the case of 1 nm diameter particles basically due to a
reduced number of "itinerant" electrons in the electron cloud." There are
other evidences that small particles have DOS similar to molecules, not
typical metals. Most notable is the evidence that HOMO-LUMO band grows to
more than 1 eV at sizes of 1 nm range.

The point is, to my opinion, that since In the most interesting range, below
2nm, the plasmon activity decreases, therefore its effect on EXAFS
interpretation, if any, should be negligible.

Regards,

Anatoly