[Ifeffit] EXAFS mean free path in small particles

matthew marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Tue Jun 14 10:09:00 CDT 2005

I'm working on a couple of projects involving nanoparticles, and a collaborator pointed out an old paper
by Zhao and Montano (PRB 40,3401(1989)) which claimed theoretical reasons why the electron mean free
path in nanos should be smaller than in bulk.  This would cause coordination numbers to be underestimated.
The effect is supposedly due to a surface plasmon which grows in importance as particle size shrinks.

I have reasons why I think this paper exaggerates the possible effects, but I'm posting this to see what
other people think about this effect.  The paper seems to have gone down into obscurity, but that doesn't
mean it isn't right.  Thanks.
	Matthew Marcus