[Ifeffit] Two edge problem (in the same scan)

Bruce Ravel ravel at ermine.phys.washington.edu
Wed Jan 26 13:29:42 CST 2005

> Hello everybody,
> I have a question/problem. Last year during the EXAFS course at NSLS, I
> had requested Bruce if it is possible to analyze the data with two
> edges. For example, I have the data for As and Se K-edges, which I
> collect in the same scan. In WinXAS program, I can section the edges and
> analyze them separately. At that time, the program was not able to
> perform these edges or the sectioning. Have we reached this possibility.
> I tried again using the latest updated Athena, but it seems not to be
> working. Can you please tell me whether the sectioning or dealing with
> two edges in the same spectra can be done

I don't unfderstand why "sectioning" is necessary.  What precludes you
from reading the data set a second time and setting e0 to be appropriate
for the second edge?  Then your pre- and post-edge lines will be made
using the second e0 and everything else should just follow normally.

I understand that Athena does not have a way to specify the second edge in
the column selection dialog, but that seems to me like an inconvenience
more than a real limitation.  It is an inconvenience because you then have
to specify the second e0 by hand rather than have Athena's magic find it
for you, but is that really so hard?