[Ifeffit] Unrestrained thanks

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Fri Feb 11 01:21:30 CST 2005

Hey, I like ifeffit so much that I am planning to come from Japan to
thank Matt personally (whilst carrying out an APS experiment!).

							Paul
On Feb 10, 2005, at 1:22 PM, Scott Calvin wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>

>> The source code for next version of Ifeffit won't be for several
>> weeks (I won't start working on it for at least two weeks).  No
>> estimate on a Windows dll.  Did I mention that releases of
>> Windows binaries and dlls will lag significantly?  I did ask for
>> feedback about a recent windows update and got exactly two
>> and heard no replies.  I take this to mean that there is little
>> interest in the Windows versions of these programs.
>
> There's actually a much happier explanation for the lack of response
> than lack of interest in Windows versions. I think that it's evidence
> that these programs work well, and serve most people's needs most of
> the times, in their current "official" incarnations. Not that
> improvements and extensions to the capabilities won't be appreciated,
> but the prospect of waiting half a year (or whatever) for the next
> version is not a hardship when the software is already so powerful and
> works so well. Of course, given the immense amount of unpaid time and
> effort you and Bruce have put into developing and, perhaps more
> importantly, maintaining and supporting this software, I would
> encourage users to help in any way they are able, whether that be bug
> reports, building executables, creating documented examples, or
> helping to field questions on this list.
>
> --Scott Calvin
> Sarah Lawrence College

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939