[Ifeffit] Hard restraints?

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Wed Feb 9 22:22:15 CST 2005

Hi Matt,

>The source code for next version of Ifeffit won't be for several
>weeks (I won't start working on it for at least two weeks).  No
>estimate on a Windows dll.  Did I mention that releases of
>Windows binaries and dlls will lag significantly?  I did ask for
>feedback about a recent windows update and got exactly two
>and heard no replies.  I take this to mean that there is little
>interest in the Windows versions of these programs.

There's actually a much happier explanation for the lack of response
than lack of interest in Windows versions. I think that it's evidence
that these programs work well, and serve most people's needs most of
the times, in their current "official" incarnations. Not that
improvements and extensions to the capabilities won't be appreciated,
but the prospect of waiting half a year (or whatever) for the next
version is not a hardship when the software is already so powerful
and works so well. Of course, given the immense amount of unpaid time
and effort you and Bruce have put into developing and, perhaps more
importantly, maintaining and supporting this software, I would
encourage users to help in any way they are able, whether that be bug
reports, building executables, creating documented examples, or
helping to field questions on this list.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College