[Ifeffit] Bug report

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Tue Aug 16 18:33:06 CDT 2005

On Sunday 07 August 2005 21:19, Scott Calvin wrote:

> (Incidentally, Artemis used to put these error messages in a file
> somewhere--does it still do that? It seems silly to have to do a screen
> capture to send it to you.)

I concur.  It is silly.

Capturing the messages to a file was a great idea -- in theory.  In practice,
however, it didn't work so well.  You may also remember that the period in
which I was trapping error messages to a file was also a period where A&A were
prone to hang in those situations, requiring the process manager to kill them.

If you are so inclined, you can read up on signal catching in perl:

  http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/perlipc.html#Signals

The bit beneath the first example box is the relevant part.  It would seem
that catching signals would be safe, given that the current version of perl is
greater than the version mentioned on that man page.  However, I am still
using perl 5.6 to build the windows executables, so the problem with
undeferred signals persists and will do so until I upgrade to 5.8 on my
windows machine.  (I have a compelling reason for not doing so at this
time...)

That said, I could put a check in the code to see if a version of perl is
running that could safely generate the trap files....

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- bravel at anl.gov  -or-
                                                  ravel at phys.washington.edu

 Environmental Research Division, Building 203, Room E-165