[Ifeffit] Artimis

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 22 16:20:51 CDT 2004

Hi,

> On Friday 22 October 2004 4:38 pm, Chen, Yongsheng wrote:
> > Thanks for your advices. I did edit my Feff.inp in Word, but did not have
> > any problems with the old version.
>
> It is certainly possible to do so, but you MUST be careful to save the
> file as text.  Because it is so easy to forget and just save in
> whatever format Word decides to use, I always discourage people from
> using Word for that purpose.

Actually, Feff6 (and ifeffit) handle Unix and Windows line endings
just fine, but do have a harder time with Mac line-endings.  I'm
not sure I know how to fix this:  As far as I can tell it's at the
level of the fortran's read() statement.  Sorry.

One thing that confuses me is that Feff6 *should* have reported a
  Feff 6L.02
  Fatal Error: No absorbing atom (ipot=0) defined

which could have been used as a clue that something went wrong.
I don't know how artemis checks if a feff run went OK.

> Hey Mac users!  Could someone suggest a simple editor that Yongsheng,
> a new Mac user, should consider for the task of editing the kinds of
> text files that Feff and similar programs work with?

TextEdit can save file with Unix-style line endings, especially if
you set the default to using 'Plain text' in the Preferences menu.

BBedit is a popular and very good editor for Mac OS X.