[Ifeffit] an update on the Mac OSX problem

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Fri May 28 14:42:25 CDT 2004

Hi,

I just wanted to let the mac users know that I have finally flushed
out the problem that Stefano and Matt reported.  There is most
certainly a crippling problem with 0.7.004 on the Mac.

In fact, the problm does not have to do with the Mac per se, but with
the version of perl/Tk used to build the codes in the Mac installer.
As some of you may be aware, the perl/Tk world is in the middle of a
transition between two major versions of the toolkit.  One of the
challanges for me has been to write code that works seamlessly despite
certain internal differences.

It turns out that I finally traced the problem to a rather obscure
difference between the older and new perl/Tk code bases.  Fortunately
there is an easy solution (although it will take me a while to find
all the places where I need to apply it) and I think that I'll be able
to post a new source code tar ball by the end of the day.

Also fortunately, Windows users will not see this problem using the
current builds of the windows executables.  Note that the Mac
installer currently has 0.7.003, so those who have installed the
installer but not updated to 0.7.004 are unaffected.  Finally, linux
and other unix users who are using a perl/Tk 800 release will be
unaffected.  The bug is specific to perl/Tk 804.

The amusing thing is that Stefano originally reported this as a
problem loading an atoms.inp file.  That turned out to be quite a red
herring.  The problem has nothing to do with the part of the code that
handles atoms or feff files!

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source