[Ifeffit] an update on the Mac OSX problem

Stefano Ciurli stefano.ciurli at unibo.it
Fri May 28 16:38:22 CDT 2004

Hi Bruce,

>I just wanted to let the mac users know that I have finally flushed
>out the problem that Stefano and Matt reported.  There is most
>certainly a crippling problem with 0.7.004 on the Mac.

yes, because the previous version ran smoothly!

>In fact, the problm does not have to do with the Mac per se, but with
>the version of perl/Tk used to build the codes in the Mac installer.
>As some of you may be aware, the perl/Tk world is in the middle of a
>transition between two major versions of the toolkit.  One of the
>challanges for me has been to write code that works seamlessly despite
>certain internal differences.
>
>It turns out that I finally traced the problem to a rather obscure
>difference between the older and new perl/Tk code bases.

wasn't Paul Fons talkijg about something similar the other day?

>Fortunately
>there is an easy solution (although it will take me a while to find
>all the places where I need to apply it) and I think that I'll be able
>to post a new source code tar ball by the end of the day.

OK. Take your time and don't rush things! :-))

>Also fortunately, Windows users will not see this problem using the
>current builds of the windows executables.  Note that the Mac
>installer currently has 0.7.003, so those who have installed the
>installer but not updated to 0.7.004 are unaffected.

I was so eager to be a NERD that I immediately updated to 0.7.004 !!!
:-)) At least I discovered something, unfortunately not
publishable... :-)

>The amusing thing is that Stefano originally reported this as a
>problem loading an atoms.inp file.  That turned out to be quite a red
>herring.  The problem has nothing to do with the part of the code that
>handles atoms or feff files!

well, I guess that both Atoms and Artemis use the same twisted
perl/Tk brick, right?

Ciao,
Stefano

Stefano Ciurli
Professor of Chemistry
Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
University of Bologna
Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
I-40127 Bologna
Italy