[Ifeffit] newcomer's simple trouble

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue May 11 16:21:40 CDT 2004

Hi Stefano,

Hmm, I'm not sure what's wrong.  This input file runs fine for me on
a linux system and a Mac OSX system.  What system are you using?

Normally, I'd suspect that this sort of error was due to a problem
with line endings, especially since the way you posted the file had
an 'extra line' between each real line.   But I thought I had fixed
this for feff6L02, so that it would no longer be a problem.

If you're working on a Unix system, see if there is a program called
dos2unix and try running it on the input file.  If you're working on
Windows, you can tell if the file has the wrong line endings by
opening it with Notepad. If it displays correctly, it has the right
line endings.  If it looks like the whole file is one line, the line
endings are wrong.  To fix a bad file, open the file with Wordpad
(not Notepad), copy all the contents (ctrl-a, ctrl-c), then paste
into a new file, or even into Notepad.

Hope that helps. If this does solve the problem, please let me know
what the conditions were (how the file was created and edited,
system used, ifeffit verions) that made this fail.  It's supposed to
be able to deal with such line ending issues.