[Ifeffit] Iffeffit1.5.2a compilation troubles

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Wed Jun 16 14:01:15 CDT 2004

Just to make things a little more confusing perhaps, I thought a couple
of comments. I do think there are some problems with the ZnO project
(perhaps there have been some changes in the project structure since it
was written).  A more relevant question is are you having trouble with
any projects that you currently using to analyze data or do things work
alright for your own data.
   To paraphrase something Bruce said earlier, there were some syntax
changes in Tk in going from the old version 800.024 to 804.027 (the
most recent).  These changes made code that functioned in the older
version stop working.  Bruce said he understood the cause and would fix
it, but (he implied) that it was going to take a while.  The problem
thus is not necessarily limited to one bit of code, but could show up
in different places.  I note for example, although I could open the ZnO
project files and follow along with the text in the first ZnO example
file, when I went to take a look at the preferences for
autoparm>do_autoparam I found a Tk related error was generated and a
TRAP file created.

  One possible solution to these problems related to the newer version
of perl (Tk804.027) would be to compile and link the library that Bruce
originally used and recommends Tk800.024.  I gave that a quick try, but
the compilation (which worked fine with older versions of the Mac OS)
now gives an error upon loading a standard system file (Mach.h).  As
this version is older, I don't see that there will be much luck in
getting the developer to fix the code (he will say use the new version
I assume) and as the problem is with a system level include file
(multiple definitions of the symbol panic as I recall) it will probably
take a fair amount of editing to remove all references within all the
different source files to eliminate references to the symbol "panic" in
Tk.  But ... if this can be done simply perhaps this would be a
stop-gap solution until Bruce fixes the code to work with the newer
versions of Tk.

								Paul

On Jun 16, 2004, at 9:40 PM, Stefano Ciurli wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I said earlier: "Apparently, I need to restart the PC any time that
> somethig goes wrong with aquaterm"
>
> No, the problem is really with the ZnO tutorial .apj files. I get
> aquaterm starting when I open a Cu.chi file, but I do not get it to
> open when I try to read the ZnO1.apj file. I think this is due to some
> bug in horae, which makes the programs not really good at managing
> project files. I think Bruce said something like that some time ago.
>
> Stefano
> --
>
> Stefano Ciurli
> Professor of Chemistry
> Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
> University of Bologna
> Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
> I-40127 Bologna
> Italy
> Phone:	+39-051-209-6204
> Fax: 	+39-051-209-6203
>
> "Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
> ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"
> Dante Alighieri - Inferno - Canto XXVI

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939