[Ifeffit] Iffeffit1.5.2a compilation troubles

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Tue Jun 15 13:09:52 CDT 2004

Just a few other words on what I did to get artemis compiled locally.
I didn't reinstall Tk (although I think I could without any trouble as
there I done it many times before).  I did, however, compile ifeffit
1.2.5a -- note that my ifeffit source is 1.2.5a not 1.2.5 -- I don't
recall the exact timing (searching through the archives of this list
probably will give the answer).  I suspect that this has some aquaterm
related changes to it although I am not sure of the specifics.  After
replacing iconf_pgplot with the version in Matt's recent posting to
this list, the compile, link, and install proceeded without error and I
then did a "sudo horae_update -force" which resulted in a successful
build and install of artemis and artemis.

   I did a quick check of ZnO example file number one and it worked as
far as I could tell.

The horae_update I did forced a new download of horae-036 as well as a
build and install.  Looking in that directory, I can see that there
still is an examples folder and the ZnO examples are there:

pwd
/Volumes/swap/Ports/horae-036
[Quark:~/Ports/horae-036] paulfons% ls -lR examples/artemis/ZnO
examples/artemis/ZnO:
total 572
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff        1758 Dec  9  2003 README
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff        6411 Dec  9  2003 README.rtf
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff         599 May  1 08:58 ZnO-atoms.inp
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff       12863 Nov 11  2003 ZnO.chi
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff      174875 Nov  2  2003 ZnO.prj
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff        9190 Jan 24 05:26 ZnO1.apj
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff       90143 Jan 24 05:15 ZnO2.apj
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff       88803 Jan 24 05:16 ZnO3.apj
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff       93264 Jan 24 05:17 ZnO4.apj
-rw-r--r--    1 paulfons staff       85047 Jan 24 05:18 ZnOFinal.apj

On Jun 15, 2004, at 8:15 PM, Stefano Ciurli wrote:

> Hello folks,
> I think I have to respond to some of the questions regarding the
> installation protocol I followed to install the programs on my G4:
>
> The protocol is the following:
>
> 0. install fink and fink's g77 and wget.
>
> COMMENT: I have a fink up-to-date and installed wget using "fink
> install wget"
>
> 1. install the Ifeffit binary from ifeffit-1.2.5a_Mac10.3.dmg.
>     This step is to install PGPLOT correctly: the problem in
>    question is not with PGPLOT.
>
> COMMENT: I downloaded the ifeffit-1.2.5a installer and ran the
> packaged installer; no problem.
>
> 2. install Perl/Tk from source:
>     2.1 download Tk-804.027.tar.gz from a CPAN site
>         ~> wget
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/NI-S/Tk-804.027.tar.gz
>     2.2 unpack Tk-804.027
>         ~> tar xvzf Tk-804.027.tar.gz
>     2.3 change line 2809 of pTk/mTk/tixGeneric/tixHList.c  from
>          '#if 0'
>          '#if 1'
>     2.4 build Perl/Tk:
>         ~>perl Makefile.PL ; make
>     2.5 install Perl/Tk
>        ~>sudo make install
>
> COMMENT: I followed exactly Matt's instructions as follows:
>
>     ~> mkdir MyTemp
>      ~> cd MyTemp
>      ~> wget
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-authors/id/NI-S/Tk-804.027.tar.gz
>      ~> tar xvzf Tk-804.027.tar.gz
>      ~> cd Tk-804.027
>      ~> ### change  pTk/mTk/tixGeneric/tixHList.c  as earlier
> instructions
>      ~> perl Makefile.PL ; make
>      ~> sudo make install
>
> then:
>
> 3. install ifeffit from source:
>     3.1 download:
>         ~>wget
> http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/src/ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz
>     3.2 unpack:
>         ~>tar xvzf ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz
>     3.3 configure
>         ~>./configure --prefix=/Applications/Ifeffit
>     3.4 build
>         ~> make
>     3.5 install
>        ~> sudo make install
>
> COMMENT: It is not clear to me the difference between 1.2.5a and
> 1.2.5: it seems odd to me to first install a more advanced version of
> ifeffit (1.2.5a) and then install the older version (1.2.5). But I did
> so as instructed. Any explanation to this?
>
> 4. install horae
>    4.1 set up to use ifeffit:
>        ~>source /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/iff_init.csh
>    4.2 install horae
>        ~>horae_update --force
>
> COMMENT: At the end of this procedure I find myself with horae-033! I
> have to do horae_update again to go to horae-066...
>
> I was trying to compile ifeffit 1.2.5a again on top of Matt's
> installer based pgplot and I am having some trouble.  I have fink
> installed and hence another pgplot.  In order not to use my fink
> [...]

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939