[Ifeffit] building ifeffit 1.2.5 on Mac

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 15 10:41:19 CDT 2004

Stefano,

There's a lot of confusion here, so let's go back a few steps.

First, the binary installer ifeffit-1.2.5a-Mac10.3.dmg does
install a complete version of Ifeffit 1.2.5 with Perl/Tk 804.027.
You asked specifically about how to build this from source.  I'm
not sure why you want to do this, but that's OK: building from
source is a fine thing to do.  But let me emphasize that the goal
of doing this would be to reproduce exactly what comes in the
binary installer.

Second, aside from g77 for building, Ifeffit relies and should use
NOTHING from Fink.  (Fink's wget makes the description of
downloading easier, but is not needed).  I think this cannot be
stressed enough so I will repeat it:  At no point, should Ifeffit
use PGPLOT, Aquaterm, or anything else from Fink.  If it does,
there was a build error.

As Paul pointed out, using the ifeffit-1.2.5.tar.gz source kit
should not have worked.  I don't understand what happened for you,
but perhaps it used PGPLOT from fink.  In any event, you need to
rebuild from source (the 'configure' and 'make install' steps)
using the newer version of iconf_pgplot, which should replace the
one in the base ifeffit-1.2.5 folder -- that is, in the source
directory.  Again, rebuilding this will build the ifeffit library
as distributed in the binary installer.

If this is confusing, perhaps you should explain why you want to
build from source as opposed to using the binary installer.