[Ifeffit] artemis development in the near future

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Jul 28 12:31:18 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 12:47 pm, SCHLEGEL Michel 177447 wrote:
> versions of Athena and Artemis as script, or if you will ask each and
> every Windows user to compile his/her own little executable. In the
> later case, You'll have to explain me.

Well, the point I was trying to make was that building and testing
windows executables adds considerably to my work.  I would like to be
able to release the development version frequently -- the
early-and-often approach to software development.  If I have to build
windows exes everytime, that will slow me down, wear me out, and make
it not worth my time to bother with the whole idea of a fork.

So, yes, I am suggesting that windows users who want to help test the
development version run them as normal perl scripts (which is, of
course, how linux and osx users run them).  Obviously this is NOT
something that most people (beginnning students, computerphobes, the
impatient) would want to do.  But for someone who is willing to devote
a little bit of time and mental energy, this is a great way that
person can contribute substantively to my effort.

> Othervise, the new version runs fabulously great, apart from a minor point:
> I can't fit simultaneously several spectra (polarization data) in q-space.
> TApparently Artemis traps some kind of error message. but the software
> keeps on running.

OK, thanks for the report.  I'll look into it.  q-space fitting is not
one of the well-tested corners of the code since I never do that myself.

> Otherwise, there's a little practical point which bothers me: when it
> comes to publishingand citing, we know how to shower praise on Matt, but
> we are still yearning  for some sound reference for the Ravelware.
> Is there any chance that this 'bug' will get fixed in the near future?

Complain to Physica Scripta and/or the people who ran last year's XAFS
conference.  The conference proceedings will contain the reference for
A&A, but here we are 13 months after the conference and the
proceedings languish under the heading "Forthcoming Topical Issues" on
the Physica Script web site.  If you ask me, this whole situation with
the XAFS12 conference proceedings is a fuckin' pile of crap.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source