[Ifeffit] artemis development in the near future

SCHLEGEL Michel 177447 schlegel at azurite.cea.fr
Wed Jul 28 11:47:30 CDT 2004

Bruce,

>  * Windows users who would like to be involved with the development
>    branch should consider installing ActiveState's perl distribution
>    on their computers as that would allow you to test the source code
>    as it becomes available.  If anyone is interested in this, I can
>    help get you started.  But I would encourage only the enthusiastic
>    to consider this.  Most users will prefer to use the executables
>    that I will build for the stable version.

Well, to paraphrase some recent declaration, sometimes you have Activestate,
sometimes, you haven't, there's this little third category...

Yes, I have installed ActiveState a long time ago, but that was just
to run some script, and it is unclear to me if you plan to run the
development
versions of Athena and Artemis as script, or if you will ask each and
every Windows user to compile his/her own little executable. In the
later case, You'll have to explain me.

Othervise, the new version runs fabulously great, apart from a minor point:
I can't fit simultaneously several spectra (polarization data) in q-space.
TApparently Artemis traps some kind of error message. but the software
keeps on running.

Otherwise, there's a little practical point which bothers me: when it
comes to publishingand citing, we know how to shower praise on Matt, but
we are still yearning  for some sound reference for the Ravelware.
Is there any chance that this 'bug' will get fixed in the near future?

Best regards,

Michel Schlegel