[Ifeffit] Re: ifeffit list index

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Jan 28 07:50:32 CST 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 03:35 am, Peter Southon wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:02:24 -0600 (CST)
> > From: Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>
> >
> > Could this FAQ sufficiently fill the role you're thinking of?
>
> Not precisely what I had in mind, its better. Would it be possible to add
> links from the faq to threads in the archived mailing list?
> This way somone (anyone) can add important mailing list discussions to the
> faq without re-typing a whole bunch of stuff.

Every entry in the FAQ server that Matt set up is editable by anyone who looks
at it.  Thus, links can be added by anyone who so desires.  This is not to
say that an htdig-style index would not be useful (clearly it would).  But,
between the software, the documentation, and the web sites, Matt does a lot.
I think the proper response to Matt's announcement of the world-editable FAQ
server would have been something more along the lines of: "Excellent!  That
kicks ass, Matt!  Now everyone can contribute to the challanging yet
extremely important problem of documenting all this excellent software."

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 222
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 5947
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 1697

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source