[Ifeffit] Too many points in pre-edge

Barton, David (DG) DGBarton at dow.com
Thu Dec 2 13:17:32 CST 2004

Carlo and Matt:

> With these files, the location of the edge (and element
> identification as well) using the first derivative
> does not work.

I also had a similar problem when we had a somewhat noisy pre-edge and edge data.  Often our analysis of the XANES requires high confidence in the edge energy to determine energy shifts and to accurately align our spectra using metal foil references.  Of course, I can always manually assign the edge position in Athena, but it would be nice if Ifeffit was a bit smarter about how it chooses Eo since it is critical for Athena operation when a reference standard is used to calibrate a sample spectra.  I would guess that there is some robust algorithm that one could implement which would more accurately determine either (1) the maximum in the first derivative or (2) the zero of the second derivative for data with any number of data points or noisy data.  I imagine that such an algorithm would include some sort of adjustable "smoothing" parameter to filter the signal from noise.

Dave
  David Barton
  The Dow Chemical Company
  Catalysis R&D
  1776 Building
  Midland, MI 48674 USA
  Ph: (989) 636-4753    Fax: (989) 638-9350
  Email: dgbarton at dow.com