[Ifeffit] Too many points in pre-edge

Carlo U. Segre segre at iit.edu
Thu Dec 2 08:44:20 CST 2004

Matt:

I am running into a somewhat annoying problem with continuous scan data
imports into athena where there are many datapoints before the edge (I
think > 400 or so).  With these files, the location of the edge (and
element identification as well) using the first derivative does not work.
The edge is identified as being somewhere in the pre-edge.  As I reduce
the number of data points in the pre-edge, the edge identification moves
closer to the true edge and then locks in correctly when the number of
data points in the pre-edge is small enough (again, I think this is less
than 400 points).

I can address this problem by running these data through a rebinning
process in the pre-edge but I think that if it is possible to handle this
in ifeffit, that would be a good idea.

On a second note, would you tell me whether you or Bruce is planning to
maintain the ifeffit perl wrapper?  At this time, ifeffit 1.2.6a and horae
046 have different versions of the Ifeffit.pm script (1.3 and 1.301
respectively).  I recently ran into a problem because I had the ifeffit
version and horae 046.

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics