[Ifeffit] It works great now -- Re: Running Feff

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Aug 11 15:10:40 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 03:55 pm, dmc at pdx.edu wrote:
>  I just clicked on the default value under the "Feff Executable" branch
> under "Feff" under "Setting."  The default is "Feff6I"  with an "I" not a
> "1" and it works great now.

Good news, indeed!

Actually, I think it's an l (lower-case letter ell) and neither
capital letter I or number 1.  Those three characters look remarkably
alike on my screen as I am typing this! ;-)

> Also, next time I forget about the output window, just say so.  I
> was looking in the Artemis Palletes for an output since it pops up
> and did not see the window behind.

After I finally understood the problem, I started looking into my
scheme for recognizing problems with the feff run.  It occured to me
that, if the feff_executable variable is set incorrectly, nothing
would get written to the palette window.  This is a problem since my
error handling involved seeing the contant of the palette window.

This afternoon, I have been overhauling my mechanism for recognizing
problems with feff.  The next release of artemis should be able to
post a useful message in the palette identifying the probably cause of
a problem and offering a solution.  Specifically, the next version of
Artemis should recognize Dan's problem and offer a useful tidbit of
advice.

And I want to echo Dan's excellent piece of advice regarding the
"window behind".  This is the command window that usually stays closed
and on the task bar.  It's the other item on the task bar that is
labeled Artemis.  That is another place to look for hints about
misbehavior in Artemis.  Indeed, I will often ask to see the contents
of that window when tracking down some bugs.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source