[Ifeffit] status of self-absorption corrections

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 30 11:39:52 CDT 2004

Hi Mauro,

I haven't done anything about self-absorption corrections besides
read a few of the papers and look at Booth's and Haskel's code and
docs.  Your assessment that there was 'no conclusion' from the
previous discussions seems correct to me.

I believe SixPack has incorporated Booth's algorithm already, so
perhaps Sam or someone who has used this in SixPack can comment on
it.  Booth's and Haskel's programs are available, of course.

I'd prefer to have a single procedure that could correct both XANES
and EXAFS, and took into account sample thickness, incident angle
and the range of exit angles as separate parameters.  It seems that
enough people have published partial solutions that it could be done
'right'.  I was hoping someone would come up with something more
definitive.  It seems like a good project for a student.

For what it's worth, if you're using a Ge detector, the deadtime
corrections might also be important.

--Matt