[Ifeffit] Minor bugs in the new versions

Schmithals schmithals at hmi.de
Wed Apr 28 04:20:28 CDT 2004

Hello Matt and Bruce,

thanks for the immediate answers.

 > Yes, it should be possible to change update_site in updater.ini.
 > You'd want to copy the contents of the current update site to
 > another web site.
 > You can also manually download all the ifup_XXX.zip files,

I think I now understand how to do that. Actually I did not want to
change update_site to another website but to a local folder (is that
also possible?) but if it is sufficient just to overwrite the
installation directory with the content of the zip-files thats even
easier for me.

Bruce Ravel schrieb:

 >>- After the update the path to the stash-folder is set to the default
 >>path: "c:\Program Files\Ifeffit\horae\stash" although my Ifeffit is
 >>installed at "c:\Programme\Ifeffit" and previously the stash folder was
 >>"c:\Programme\Ifeffit\horae\stash". Is it possible to set the stash
 >>folder automatically to the subfolder in the installation directory?
 >
 > On windows and by default, Artemis uses the environment variable
 > IFEFFIT_DIR to determine the location of the stash folder (as well as
 > a few other folders).  Specifically it is set to
 > $ENV{IFEFFIT_DIR}\horae\stash.  The IFEFFIT_DIR variable is set by the
 > batch file, which gets created during installation.  When you double
 > click on the desktop icon or use the Start menu, that batch file gets
 > executed.  The batch file sets a few environmental variables, then
 > calls the artemis executable.  Since those variables were set by the
 > batch file, they are available to the artemis process.
 >
 > It appears that something is going awry in the installation/update
 > process.  You should check that the desktop and Start menu shortcuts
 > are still pointing to the correct batch file and that the batch file
 > correctly sets the IFEFFIT_DIR variable.  If any part of that is
 > wrong, it would be useful to start from scratch, that is to run the
 > installer and check all those things, then apply the updates and check
 > again.  Perhaps some step of that game is being done incorrectly.
 >
 > If all of that appears to be set correctly, then I'll keep searching
 > for the problem, although at the moment I don't see how artemis can
 > get it wrong if the batch file is correct.

I checked the batch file but both the shortcut to the batch file as well
as the batch file itself seem to be correct. I also did a new
installation from scratch but the situation didn't change. Here is the
content of artemis.bat:

@echo off
SET IFEFFIT_MAIN=C:\Programme\Ifeffit
SET IFEFFIT_DIR=C:\Programme\Ifeffit
SET PATH=%PATH%;%IFEFFIT_DIR%
SET PGPLOT_DIR=%IFEFFIT_DIR%
SET PGPLOT_DEV=/GW
"%IFEFFIT_DIR%"\updater.exe
cd "%IFEFFIT_DIR%"
artemis.exe

Immediatly after first start of Artemis the folder "C:\Program
Files\Ifeffit\horae\stash\" is created where Artemis will store its files.
I found these entries in "artemis.config" (windows= obviously points to
the folder that ifeffit actually uses):
default=~/.horae/stash/
windows=C:\\Program Files\\Ifeffit\\horae\\stash\\

 >>Athena 0.8.027
 >>- Athena does not start when Artemis is running. Two new Windows will
 >>show up for a moment in the taskbar and disappear again, no error logs
 >>are written to the stash-folder. No problems occur if Artemis is not
 >>running. Also Artemis will not start when Athena is running.
 >
 > This is almost certainly a memory management problem -- an unfortunate
 > confluence of the memory model in windows 2K and the fact that Ifeffit
 > is written in fortran and statically allocates a large amount of
 > memory.  I believe the only solutions are to use only one at a time or
 > to put more memory in your computer.

Well, I have 265MB RAM. But it did work with the previous versions.
These are the error messages when I try to start Athena when Artemis is
running and vice versa:

c:\Programme\Ifeffit>athena.bat
Ifeffit checked for updates recently.
Can't load 'auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.dll' for module Ifeffit: load_file:Das
angegebe
ne Modul wurde nicht gefunden at /PerlApp/DynaLoader.pm line 212.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at athena line 59.

c:\Programme\Ifeffit>artemis.bat
Ifeffit checked for updates recently.
Can't load 'auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.dll' for module Ifeffit: load_file:Das
angegebe
ne Modul wurde nicht gefunden at /PerlApp/DynaLoader.pm line 212.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at artemis line 53.

("Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden at.." means: "The specified
modul was not found at ..")

 >> - Sometimes the selection of groups gets faulty: when clicking on one of
 > You are not the first to mention this, but I have, thus far, been
 > unable to reproduce this myself.  If you can send me a recipe
 > guaranteed to show this, that would be very helpful.

I don't know myself.

 >>- Is there a way in Athena to display the raw data of a group as a text
 >>file? Athena will not allow to edit this data via "Edit | Edit data as
 >>text". I only had the idea of saving the group and looking at the
 >>resulting text file.
 >
 > It never occured to me that one might want to edit a data group as
 > text.  Saving and looking at the text file is the only way to do so at
 > this time.  I'll put this on the todo list.

Actually I do not want to edit the data. It just happened to me that I
wanted to check if a data group loaded into athena corresponds to an
experimental file, i.e. was read from this file (because I changed
filenames afterwards).

 >>- This raised another point: if I compare the file I read into Athena
 >>with the file I exported then I notice that they have a different
 >>scaling (abszissae values) - does Athena automatically change the
 >>scaling when importing data files? I also noticed that when exporting
 >>multiple groups then all groups are scaled to the same abszissae values
 >>which is not the case when I export them separately.
 >
 > I don't understand the question.  Why don't you send me some data that
 > demonstrates what you are asking about.

I made a mistake in my previous posting:
athenatest.zip contains two experimental files: exp01.dat and exp02.dat
with a (slightly) different scaling. I read them in and exported to
exp01.xmu and exp02.xmu. The values indeed correspond exactly to the
original files.
But if I import both groups to a single file then the scaling of the
first group will be used for both and the ordinate data from exp02 will
be changed accordingly. How is this done, linear interpolation?
Actually, I find this behaviour very useful: if I export many groups for
display in an other program I can plot all of them versus the same
abzissae-values. Is it possible to integrate that feature for export of
single files as well? (as I now prefer that method because of the
automatic parameter export).

Regards,
Gerrit