[Ifeffit] Ifeffit for Mac OS X / Fink

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 21 21:36:56 CDT 2004

Hi Paul,

> I see what you mean.  Although I use fink a lot for my own purposes, I
> understand your philosophy and admit it is probably correct for the
> average feffit/horae user.  Certainly the issue where things are
> installed can be fixed -- or at least circumvented by either
> overwriting the /Applications launchers or making them applescript
> applications that can realize that the latest binaries are now in
> /usr/bin/local.  I believe there is an installer for the g77 as well on
> the net somewhere (or at least there was for 10.2) so perhaps fink may
> not be necessary at all.  By the way the latest version of aquaterm may
> be alpha, but so far in its interactions with horae (I only use it with
> horae), I have not had a single problem with it.  What would be the
> next logical step to make this a reality?  Should I pass along my
> makefile changes?  If you could describe your setup (or put it into a
> tar archive, perhaps I could download it and help with the hacking).

What's next? Well, I'm heading out of town for a few days...  I'll
have my powerbook with me but may not work on this until next week.
I think the first thing is to build a PGPLOT library that does X,
Postscript, Png, and Aquaterm, preferrably linking in png/zlib
staically (so as to avoid '-lpgplot -lpng -lz' which often prefers
Fink shared- verses non-Fink static libraries). A Makefile for
PGPLOT/ Aquaterm would be helpful.

Then I just point PGPLOT_DIR appropriately and build Ifeffit with
./configure --prefix=/Applications/Ifeffit ; sudo make install.

For horae, I use horae's Makefile.PL, then move the binaries from
/usr/local, but go back to ifeffit/wrapper/perl to make and install
the perl module there. That's kludgy, but easy enough to  do once
or twice -- but would have to be fixed if 'horae_update' is to be
robust.. again this is all easy enough.

The binary package and installer are pretty straightforward: just
taking everything from /Library/Perl and /Applications/Ifeffit and
use Package Manager and Disk Utility.

If there's someone who knows anything about Applescript or how Mac
Icons work, the Applescript wrappers could be improved.  Really,
/Applications/Ifeffit/applescript is the sum total of my Applescript
experience:  I conquered 'do_shell_script' and not much else. An
alternative route might be to figure out how to really make applets
without Applescript.