[Ifeffit] new versions of my programs

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Wed Apr 14 18:39:59 CDT 2004

I thought I would jump in here and say I have been compiling my own
version of ifeffit and horae-033 (the last time the day 033 came out).
I know something about programming and am very interested in getting
horae and ifeffit as packages in fink.  In essence the work I now do
for myself for the latest horae to run could be used by every one who
can type "fink update horae". Info on fink is available at
http:fink.sourceforge.net.  In other words once everything is set up, I
would be glad to be the maintainer.  Of course, the installer concept
is easier, but rather wasteful of resources (all that usually needs to
be recompiled is horae, e.g. ifeffit, pgplot, perl widgets etc. are all
the same between releases of horae so the amount of files to be
downloaded is much less (about 5 MB for 033).  Now that Matt is
maintaining a Mac installer, putting up a fink version still makes
sense as it is quick and light meaning, since I upgrade horae for
myself, I can have the updated version available very quickly (little
or no repackaging is required (unlike an installer) as the fink system
would download horae itself locally, I would only upload install
scripts and dependency files.  For Mac users there is another (slight)
advantage in that the fink pgplot is aquaterm enabled
(aquaterm.sourceforge.net); aquaterm is a cocoa application that
displays the pgplot output instead of X11.  The biggest advantage is
that it buffers its input so the graphics can be resized anytime
(pgplot does not buffer anything internally so this is not possible in
X11 directly).  It also allows direct printing and saving of any window
(it would support multiple windows let's say if athena and artemis or
multiple copies of either were running) as an eps or pdf file (these
features are supported directly by the Mac OS so it is not pgplot doing
the rerendering).  Are there any mac users out there that might be
interested.   Stefano, I will be going to Triesete next month to do an
experiment with Federico Boscherini (from Bologna as well -- physics
department).  Is there any chance you will be there?

									Paul

On Apr 15, 2004, at 12:41 AM, Stefano Ciurli wrote:

> Ciao Carlo,
>
>> It is my understanding that Mac OSX has something called fink which
>> works
>> much like Debian's apt-get.
>
> yes it has. But I am not a guru of linux or unix (to say the least)
> and as a newcomer I used the installer provided kindly by Matt. For
> other programs I used fink, no problem. You can go and see some
> interesting pages at http://chemistry.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/
>
>>   I have always been curious as to whether
>> source packages from a Debian system could be ported easily through
>> this
>> method?  Can you tell me a bit about it?
>
> not much. I follow the instructions given in the site I give above to
> install the programs I need, mostrly for crystallography and protein
> NMR.
> Ciao,
> Stefano
>
> --
>
> Stefano Ciurli
> Professor of Chemistry
> Department of Agro-Environmental Science and Technology
> University of Bologna
> Viale Giuseppe Fanin, 40
> I-40127 Bologna
> Italy
> Phone:	+39-051-209-6204
> Fax:	+39-051-209-6203
>
> "Fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
> ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza"
> Dante Alighieri - Inferno - Canto XXVI

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Researcher
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science & Technology
METI
Center for Applied Near-Field Optics Research (CANFOR)
AIST Central 4, Higashi 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki JAPAN 305-8568

tel. +81-298-61-5636
fax. +81-298-61-2939