[Ifeffit] Fwd: athena - Win 98 and Win NT

Norbert Weiher weiher at tech.chem.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 25 16:06:55 CST 2003

Ciao Brad,

for the NT machine it looks like enhancing the pagefile (rightclick on "my
computer", settings, advanced, I think - or look in the windows help under
"increase pagefile") does the trick. I had such messages before on NT
machines. Increasing the virtual memory always helps...

Cheers,

Norbert

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 21:47, Bruce Ravel wrote:
> Brad,
>
> I am passing this along to the mailing list to see if anyone else has
> any better wisdom for you.  But I'll take a stab.
>
> Win98:  did you  put "SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P" into
>         `config.sys', as the Win98 instructions on my and Matt's web
>         sites suggest?  Otherwise I am not familiar enough with Win98
>         to provide better guidance.
>
> WinNT:  I have never seen the message you described and don't quite
>         know what it means.  What happens on NT if you install the
>         stuff in to C:\Program Files\ rather than onto the F: disk?
>         Again, I am not very familiar with NT (I've never actually
>         haad it on a machine that I own.)
>
> Win2K:  Whew!  Using this seems like the path of least resistance.
>
> Anyone else have any wisdom?

> Subject: athena - Win 98 and Win NT
> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:32:31 -0600 (CST)
> From: Brad Lindseth <bjl at ccrc.wustl.edu>
> To: ravel at phys.washington.edu
>
> Hi,
> We took some XAFS data a week ago at the APS.  I installed athena to look
> at the data.  Here is my report:
>
> 1.  installed on Win 98:  athena runs, but says "Error: Runtime exception"
> in the DOS window.  And then a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library box
> says:  Runtime Error!  Program c:\ifeffit\grwnd.exe  abnormal program
> termination.
>
> 2.  installed on WinNT 4.0:  in the DOS window it says:
> F:\PROGRA~1\Ifeffit>athena
> Can't load
> 'C:\TEMP\athena\{62B3D752-A76A-4C15-B621-8205B2665DBC}\/auto/Ifeffit/
> Ifeffit.dll' for module Ifeffit: load_file:The paging file is too small
> for this
>  operation to complete at DynaLoader.pm line 206.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at athena line 59.
>
> 3.  windows 2000 installation works just fine.
>
> Should I just use the win 2000 installation, or is there a simple fix for
> the other two?
> Thanks,
> Brad Lindseth
>
> # Brad Lindseth
> # Graduate Student
> # Washington University
> # Phone: (314) 977-0283
> # E-mail:  bjl1 at cec.wustl.edu
> # Web: http://clarion.cec.wustl.edu/~bjl1/

Dr. rer. nat. Norbert Weiher (weiher at tech.chem.ethz.ch)
Institute for Chemical and Bioengineering - ETH Hönggerberg
HCI E 117 - 8093 Zürich - Phone: +41 1 63 3 48 32